Wayside Inn
Since 1797, America's Longest Continuously Operating Inn
 
Follow Us On:
Hours
Sun: 9am - 2pm
Mon: Restaurant Closed 
Tue: Restaurant Closed 
Wed: 12pm - 9pm
Thur: 12pm - 9pm
Fri: 12pm - 9pm
Sat: 12pm - 9pm
Bed & Breakfast is always open 
Wayside Inn 
Inn~ Restaurant ~ Tavern
History
Picture
Wayside Inn history is based on service to the traveler. The first travelers to the Inn started coming in 1797, pausing for bed and board as they journeyed across the Shenandoah Valley. The Wayside was then known as Wilkenson's Tavern. When rugged highways were hacked out of the wilderness twenty years later, and the Valley Pike, now Route 11, came through Middletown, the tavern became a stagecoach stop, a relay station where fresh horses were readied, and where bounce-weary passengers could rest and refresh themselves.

In coaching days, a servant boy would be sent to the nearby hill to sight an expected stagecoach. When a cloud of dust appeared over the horizon, the servant waited anxiously, straining to sight the outline of the stagecoach, and then hurried back to the Inn to report its approach. By the time the passengers arrived, delicious hot food would be waiting and they would dine and drink in comfort while the team of horses was being changed.

During the Civil War, soldiers from both the North and South frequented the Inn in search of refuge and friendship. Serving both sides in this devastating conflict, the Inn offered comfort to all who came and thus was spared the ravages of the war, even through Stonewall Jackson's famous Valley Campaign swept past only a few miles away.

Jacob Larrick bought the Inn before the war, changed the name to Larrick's Hotel. In the early part of the 20th century, when it was again sold, the new owner Samuel Rhodes, added a third floor, wings on each side, and a new name, The Wayside Inn. In the next few years, as pot-holed pikes were transformed into paved roads, and automobiles begin touring the Valley, the Inn proclaimed itself "America's First Motor Inn."

In the 1960's a Washington financier and antique collector Leo M. Bernstein, with a restless enthusiasm for new projects, and a fascination with Americana, purchased the Inn. He energetically restored and refurbished it with hundreds of antiques, decorating each of the rooms with its own unique flavor.

Thus, the Inn has been able to retain its 18th Century atmosphere, where the charm of an older era blends with the wonders of the new, in a setting of natural beauty, unmarred by time.